Christmas is a feeling! It is a time of joy, love, and togetherness. And we are here to make sure that it does not turn into a time of excess, waste, and mindless consumption.
Whether you planning a party for your friends and family or a gift exchange at your workplace, choosing sustainable gifts that are eco-friendly, ethical, and meaningful is the easiest way to make your celebration fun and special. Sustainable gifts are those that have a positive impact on the planet and society, either by using natural, organic, recycled, or upcycled materials, by supporting local artisans and communities, by reducing carbon footprint and plastic waste, or by promoting health, wellness, and mindfulness. By choosing sustainable gifts, we can show our care and appreciation for our loved ones, as well as for the earth and its inhabitants.
So, without further ado, here is a curated selection of unusual and unique gift ideas from sustainable lifestyle brands that are low on waste and high on design!
- Seville Panelled Dress from Doodlage (Rs. 6,500). Doodlage creates fashionable and functional clothing and accessories from industrial waste and scrap fabrics. While it is hard to choose from the many options that the brand offers, we love this dress made in upcycled cotton from factory waste, both for how it is made and for how good it looks!
- Elderberry Breezy Tank Top from No Nasties (Rs. 1299). No Nasties makes 100% organic, fair trade clothing for men, women, and kids and is a perennial favourite with us. Not just because of their super soft fabrics and cool, minimalistic designs but also for their brand values, and the transparency about their impact on their website. Their yoga collection is the perfect gift for a yoga enthusiast and we love this easy-breezy top. All products are ethically made and certified by global standards, ensuring that no harmful chemicals, pesticides, or GMOs are used in the production process.
Source: No Nasties
- Handcrafted Holiday Bundle from 11.11 (Rs. 18,000) 11.11 celebrates the heritage and craftsmanship of Indian textiles They offer a selection of accessories like berets, shibori scarves and pocket squares, towels, bandanas, and even pot holders that are as delightful as are unusual. All products are made using indigenous techniques and use natural pigment dyes.
Handcrafted by Artisans
- Cufflinks Vintage Stamps – Square Half Anna from Anand Prakash (Rs. 2,990). Anand Prakash creates pieces of art, gifts, and collectibles that are handcrafted by skilled artisans. These vintage cufflinks feature authentic stamps from British era India and are handmade in gold-plated brass. We think this is the perfect gift for the gentleman who likes old-fashioned vintage fashion. And while at it, you may want to browse the brand’s Christmas shop for some unique finds!
Source: Anand Prakash
- Christmas Tree Gift Box from Sirohi (Rs. 1,499). And while on Christmas shops, do stop by Sirohi’s too. Sirohi works with artisan women from marginalised communities, provides them with design training, and enables them to access markets for their handmade products. This adorable and versatile gift box is made of cotton and upcycled plastic yarns and comes with three stars and two baubles, crafted in paper-mache by artisans in Kashmir.
- Kahaani Abhi Baaki Hai Bookmark, from Quirksmith (Rs. 3,000) Quirksmith makes handmade jewellery and accessories inspired by Indian culture, heritage, and stories. True to their brand name, they have quirky and interesting accessories besides beautiful jewellery. All products are made in 92.5% pure silver and handcrafted by skilled artisans, making them exquisite and authentic. We particularly love this bookmark and think it is the perfect gift for the bookworm among your friends and family!
Home and Decor
- Organic Cotton Waffle Blanket, from Amouve (Rs. 3,850). Amouve offers soft, cozy, and luxurious bedding products in GOTS-certified organic cotton. This all-weather blanket, which is available in multiple colours, has a textured waffle weave and is designed to keep you comfortable throughout the year. This would make for a warm Christmas gift!
- Gift Box of Cutlery, from P-tal (Rs. 2,301). P-tal, with its stunning design aesthetics is reviving the age-old tradition of brass utensils in a contemporary aesthetic. Their products are made by local artisans, are long-lasting, and has health benefits like aiding immunity and digestion. This beautiful set of 6 engraved spoons and 6 engraved forks packed in an attractive gift box is sure to be the winner this season!
- Upcycled Tetra pak Coaster Set of 6, from Green The Map (Rs. 436). Green The Map has a range of cheerful and quirky upcycled and other eco-friendly products. This cheerful and colourful coaster set made from tetra pack and recycled rubber is a creative gift and is sure to be a conversation starter, whether you gift it in a fun Secret Santa or at a Christmas party!
Source: Green The Map
- Holiday Candle Duo – Red Spice & Vanilla, from Niana (Originally Rs. 1650, Now Rs. 1,400). Niana offers a range of hand-poured candles made with non-toxic and biodegradable natural soy wax soy and essential oils. This delectable combination of spicy cinnamon and sweet vanilla is ideal to set the Christmas mood! The candles come in clear glass jars with wooden lids, making for a perfect gift too!
- Luxury Handmade Soaps Gift Box, from JiViSa (Rs. 1,200). JiVisa brings the natural goodness from the forests of Uttarakhand in their products! This gift set made up of 4 handmade soaps, Seven Spice, Arabic Oudh, Almond Milk & Saffron, and Coconut & Honey is a thoughtful gift for any occasion. The soaps are also free from any chemicals, preservatives, or artificial colors, making them gentle and nourishing for the skin.
- Studio Pottery Diffuser With Cane Handle, from Nakshikathaa on Amala Earth (Originally Rs 1,350, now Rs.1,243). Amala Earth is our go-to place for all things sustainable lifestyle. This is where we stumbled upon this exquisite pottery diffuser that would be a welcome addition to any home!
Source: Amala Earth
We are now spoilt for choice with an almost bewildering range of options for sustainable gifts across categories to suit all budgets and preferences.
You don’t have to buy new gifts on every occasion. Bring out your Christmas ornaments from the previous years, get creative and upcycle gifts from what you already have, pass on one of your possessions like a book you have read or a gently worn piece of clothing, and extend the life cycle of products
Bring out your Christmas ornaments from the previous years, get creative and upcycle gifts from what you already have, pass on one of your possessions like a book you have read or a gently worn piece of clothing, and extend the life cycle of products
But if you choose to buy something new, make conscious choices!
Look out for Part 2 of our Gift Guide coming soon!